The Big “S”, STRESS!!!
Most of us battle with stress on a daily basis. Constant tasks can lead us to chronic stress- for example, traffic, payment of bills, taxes, kids, cooking dinner, deadlines at work, and the lists goes on and on. Did reading that list make you stressed? You aren’t alone! Chronic stress can lead to dangerous health concerns such as, anxiety, depression, digestive problems, headaches, heart disease, sleep problems, weight gain and memory/concentration impairment.
Do you know how to manage stress?
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
- Be assertive instead of aggressive.
- Assert your feelings, opinions, or beliefs instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive.
- Learn and practice relaxation techniques; try meditation yoga, or tai-chi for stress management.
- Exercise regularly. Your body can fight stress better when it is fit.
- Eat Healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Learn to manage your time more effectively – at both work and at home.
- Set limits appropriately and learn to say no to requests that would create excessive stress in your life. We are all guilty of checking a work email out of the 9-5.
- Make time for hobbies, interests, and relaxation.
- Don’t rely on alcohol, drugs, or compulsive behaviors to reduce stress.
- Seek out social support.
- Spend enough time with those you enjoy.
- Seek treatment with a psychologist or other mental health professional trained in stress management or biofeedback techniques to learn healthy ways of dealing with the stress in your life.
We all have a busy calendar but let’s try to schedule appointments for “YOU TIME”.
Start by blocking out once a week for 15 minutes to take care of “YOU”, as weeks go by slowly increase the days/time. Now your weekly “YOU” appointments are turning into a healthy routine. Make this healthy routine a healthy habit. Let’s start by marking our calendar today!!
Look for future Ala Moana walking groups to make friends, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and to learn more about Ideal Protein! Events are posted on OSR Weight Management’s Facebook page!