Go Green-Benefits of Eating Your Green Vegetables!

Getting your daily servings of vegetables can be challenging, and what you may not realize is the immeasurable amount of nutrients that green vegetables/leafy greens offer us. Vegetables contain antioxidants and other disease-fighting compounds that are very difficult to get anywhere else. Phytochemicals, or plant chemicals, are known to reduce inflammation and eliminate carcinogens.  Some plant chemicals can even regulate the rate at which your cells reproduce, get rid of old cells, and maintain DNA.

Below is a list of Ideal Protein-Phase 1-4 friendly greens that can help boost your health!

Kale – Listed as one of the top superfoods, kale is packed with nutrients. Like all cruciferous vegetables, it contains cancer-fighting plant compounds and vitamin C.  Kale in particular also has bone-boosting vitamin K, vision and immune-boosting vitamin A, and even anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. It comes in a green or red color and comes in many different varieties. Because of the vast amount of nutrients, this green packs a powerful flavor. A wonderful way to enjoy kale is sautéed in olive oil with a bit of chopped garlic or even blended in smoothies.

Spinach – Spinach is very high in calcium and vitamin C, making it one of the most nutritious veggies. The consumption of spinach has been associated with prevention of cancer and asthma, lowering of blood pressure, promoting healthy looking skin & hair and the management of diabetes. In addition, it makes for an easier option when you’re in a place with limited produce. Like Kale, it can be enjoyed in smoothies or a number of different ways.

Celery – Celery is one of the least calorie dense foods on the planet. The main reason for this is because it is mainly made up of water; 95% to be precise. However, with that being said, the remaining 5% is very nutritious. Celery helps to reduce inflammation, aids digestion, reduces bad cholesterol and is an awesome snack for people who are trying to lose weight.

Asparagus – One of the major benefits of eating asparagus is its unique anti-inflammatory properties. It is also rich in anti-oxidants such as vitamin C, beta-carotene and vitamin E, all of which help to fight off free radicals that cause damage to cells in your body.

Broccoli – Broccoli offers high levels of immune system-boosting vitamin C, bone-strengthening vitamin K, chromium, and folate, which plays a strategic role in regulating cell growth and reproduction. Enjoy it cooked or raw!

Zucchini – Did you know that zucchini has more potassium than a banana? Zucchini also has anti-inflammatory and blood sugar benefits and is rich in vitamin C, manganese, and antioxidants.With only 25 calories per zucchini, using it as a substitute for pasta makes the healthier and tasty option while embracing better health!

Scroll to Top